To provide a hands on work experience to emerging technical theatre makers as they are entering the theatrical marketplace in New York City. This position will offer the opportunity to build a foundational knowledge of the technical production side of theatre and will introduce the participant to working freelance professionals in the industry.
- Interns will gain insight into the day-to-day administrative operation of a theater company.
- A chance to expand on their academic studies and gain practical experience in a professional environment.
- Receive hands on experience with the lighting and sound consoles used within the venue.
- Learn about acceptable working practices in a functioning theatre.
- Learn about running a venue which is integrated for media; Including IT systems for theatre.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Candidates must be energetic, possess willingness to learn and work well within a team.
- Will work directly with the Production Manager, and Assistant Production Manager to achieve the goals of each individual production.
- Will work along side Lighting and Audio Engineers and other staff in mounting productions.
- Throughout the internship, there will be opportunities to learn and assist in some of the following areas: stage management, sound, lighting, video and props.
- Intern will participate actively in running and preparing for both produced and presented shows.
- Coordinate lighting/video/audio technical needs and implement as assigned by Production Management.
- Operate production (audio/lighting/video) equipment during show. Department assignment based on experience.
Must be reliable, committed, willing to work the entire fall season production schedule, self-motivated, and possess strong interpersonal skills.
Third year college students and above are our preferred candidates to fill these positions.
We are looking for someone full of energy that is willing to learn and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
The schedule will be assigned as the Fall season is announced. The internship will consist of 20-25 hours per week.
How to Apply
Email productionintern@BRICartsmedia.org with subject line: BRIC Performing Arts Production Intern. Please write a brief cover letter in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls.
About BRIC Performing Arts
BRIC’s performing arts programs present emerging and established artists in music, dance, theater, and multidisciplinary performance to broad audiences from Brooklyn and throughout New York City, and support the development of new work. Signature programs include the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival, which presents more than 25 free performances each summer at the Prospect Park Bandshell and our multi-genre commissioning and residency programs.