Purpose of Internship: To support the Development & Membership team by contributing to all aspects of development, membership, special events, and administration for the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival. This includes extensive involvement in executing the Friends membership campaign, which attracts upwards of 1,000 individuals and small businesses, and the Opening Night Gala, which is attended by 600 business and government decision-makers, community leaders, and individual donors. The Development & Membership Intern will get the chance to experience the entire BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival season in the company of its strongest community supporters.
- Learn various aspects of nonprofit fundraising including managing membership programs, event planning, stewardship, and cultivation.
- Learn how to advance skills in onsite customer service and communication with members, donors, government officials and other key organizational stakeholders.
- Learn how to effectively track and maintain donor data and attendance to ensure increased engagement and retention.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide support to Development Team on all development, membership, and Gala-related projects
- Be onsite at every performance to assist with onsite member check-in at concerts, as well as maintenance and organization of the Friends Tent
- Assist with Gala and Membership mailings and benefit fulfillment
- Assist with processing of Gala and membership donations
- Assist with onsite special events, including Opening Night Gala, After-Party, and Friends membership events
- Assist with preparation & execution of Business Friend promotions in Friends Tents
- Organize and maintain membership lists and files
- Bachelors degree or currently pursuing degree in a related field
- Some experience with development, membership programs, data entry, and/or event planning and execution is preferred
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software, Microsoft Office, and/or social media platforms is desirable, as is knowledge of and a keen interest in music and the performing arts
- Must be self-directed and proactive, highly organized, computer literate, outgoing, and able to think on your feet
- Must possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Must be excited to work on administrative office tasks and to engage with the public with utmost professionalism
- 2-3 days per week in office (flexible based on individual’s schedule)
- Must be available to work all performances – including weekend nights
- 30 performances June-August, primarily Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights
- The intern will be provided with dinner at the Bandshell when working the festival, a Metrocard, and the opportunity to watch an hour of each performance.
How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Development & Membership Intern. Please write a brief cover letter in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls.
BRIC is the leading presenter of free cultural programming in Brooklyn, and one of the largest in New York City. We present and incubate work by artists and media-makers who reflect the diversity that surrounds us. Some of BRIC’s most acclaimed programs include the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival in Prospect Park; path-breaking media initiatives, including the newly-renamed BRIC TV; and a renowned contemporary art exhibition series. BRIC also offers education and other vital programs at our main venue, BRIC Arts | Media House, and throughout Brooklyn. BRIC programs reach hundreds of thousands of people each year. The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival is NYC’s longest-running, free performance festival, and a beloved summer tradition featuring approximately 30 varied performances and attracting upwards of 200,000 people each summer to the Prospect Park Bandshell.