BRIC builds Brooklyn's creative future. We ADVANCE OPPORTUNITY for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We PRESENT BOLD WORK that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We IGNITE LEARNING in people of all ages. We UNITE BROOKLYN through art and creativity to build community and make change.
The Director of Communications will develop and implement a communications strategy to effectively promote the work and profile of BRIC. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications, the Director of Communications will support the execution of comprehensive communications strategies for institutional and programmatic priorities.
- Support SVP in the design and implementation of an overall communications strategy that advances the work and profile of BRIC.
- Craft and/or edit public information materials, such as press releases, pitch memos, fact sheets, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other materials used for dissemination of BRIC’s position.
- Provide copy editing support, as needed.
- Work on messaging strategies for short and long term initiatives including development efforts.
- Design and maintain media kit materials.
- Data-approach to report on coverage and ensure the dissemination of select and high-impact articles, mentions, quotes for use across all platforms and in sales materials.
- Provide oversight of external PR firms with expertise in key programmatic areas.
- Craft statements and talking points for the President of the organization and staff making public appearances and press engagements.
- Secure and guide external partners in securing media opportunities such as interviews, speaking engagements with key publishers and events.
- Build and maintain relationships with writers, editors, and publishers.
- Support social and digital teams in the deployment of key messages across all platforms.
- Aid SVP in managing crises and challenges on the communications front.
- 6 – 7 years of experience in media, arts, community engagement, public interest, and/or nonprofit communications
- Digital-first storyteller that can craft messages for all platforms and switch seamlessly between them
- Excellent verbal and oral communicator and collaborator
- Strong leadership skills to manage staff, outside PR and relationships with media
- Knowledge of email marketing platforms and databases such as MailChimp preferred
- Ability to quickly turn around press statements
- Proactive in creating relationships with communicators in our field and with editors and bookers in the media
Salary and Schedule
This is a full-time position with strong benefits package. Some evenings and weekends are required. Salary $65 – 70k, depending on experience.
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with subject line: Director of Communications. Please write a brief cover letter in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
BRIC is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from people of color and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period is open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.