BRIC’s performing arts programs present work by artists in music, dance, theater, and multidisciplinary performance to broad audiences from Brooklyn and throughout New York City, and support the development of new work. Signature programs include the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Performing Arts Festival, Jazz Fest, BRIClab and BRIC House Sessions, a spring concert series at BRIC House.
Key Qualifications & Purpose of Position:
BRIC seeks Front of House Managers for BRIC House, with demonstrated house management experience, who will ensure audiences have an excellent overall experience at BRIC House. Front of House Managers will oversee all front of house staff, and ensure that the performing arts events at BRIC House – including concerts, dance performances, and more – run smoothly from start to finish.
- Oversee all front of house staff including ushers, security, volunteers, and the box office associate. Lead front of house staff in creating a warm, welcoming environment for patrons.
- Ensure venue is clean and ready for the public before opening
- Coordinate opening house and closing spaces with production staff and show’s Producer/Event Manager
- Assist patrons with questions about performances and BRIC
- Manage issues that arise in the front of house and liaise between patrons and BRIC staff
- Assist patrons with disabilities, includes supervising use of wheelchair lift
- Understand and communicate specific details of each event to staff
- Understand and oversee all front of house procedures such as ADA seating, venue emergency evacuation, line-management, coat check and box office set-up, and more.
- Write show report at the end of each performance to send to Producer/Event Manager
- Other duties as required
- Prior experience as a House Manager at a performing arts center, venue or festival
- Strong leadership and communication skills. Capability to motivate and inspire staff to perform to the best of their abilities.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service in a variety of performing arts events
- Ability to calmly make decisions under pressure and deal effectively with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring diplomacy, tact, friendliness, poise and firmness
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities at once
- Ability to anticipate issues, strong attention to detail and organization
- Availability to work nights and weekends
- Knowledge of Eventbrite or other ticketing system preferred
- Experience with two way radios is preferred
Salary and Schedule
$20/hr, schedule as needed for events, shifts range from 4-8 hours Sept-May
How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Front of House Manager. Please write a brief cover letter outlining your previous front of house experience in the body of the email and attach resume. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
BRIC is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We encourage applications from people of color and others who are under-represented in the cultural sector. Our application period is open until we have a diverse and qualified pool of candidates.