BRIC is the leading presenter of free cultural programming in Brooklyn, and one of the largest in New York City. We present and incubate work by artists and media-makers who reflect the diversity that surrounds us. BRIC programs reach hundreds of thousands of people each year. We advance access to and understanding of arts and media by presenting free and low-cost programming, and by offering education and other public programs to people of all ages. Learn more at BRICartsmedia.org.
BRIC’s performing arts programs present emerging and established artists in music, dance, theater, and multidisciplinary performance to broad audiences from Brooklyn and throughout New York City, and support the development of new work. Signature programs include BRIC JazzFest, which presents more than 20 artist performances during our Music Marathon weekend, BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival, and our multi-genre commissioning and residency programs.
Purpose of Internship: To support BRIC’s Performing Arts staff in producing our fall programming season, which includes residencies, BRIC JazzFest, stand-alone concerts, and interdisciplinary events. The Performing Arts Intern will gain first-hand live event experience at one of Brooklyn’s most vibrant cultural organizations, and be exposed to the administrative process before and after each performance. This Intern should be willing to do what it takes to ensure every artist has a superb experience working with BRIC, and contribute to all areas of artist services and administration with the Performing Arts team.
- Participate in multiple aspects of performing arts administration
- Learn how to process, organize, and track artist contracts & payments
- Learn how different departments interface to complete longer-term projects/tasks
- Learn how to maintain Hospitality inventory
- Gain first-hand event experience, both front of house and backstage as an artist liaison
- Assist in the development of relationships with artists and provide additional support for performances, and performing arts operations to ensure high-quality artist/audience experience and production values.
- Learn about objectives and goals in a multidisciplinary Brooklyn-based arts organization
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate (pre-shows) and Manage (on-site) Artist and VIP Guest Lists
- Assist with operational schedules and planning
- Assist with artist contract tracking and follow-up
- Assist with artist payments & fees
- Assist with artist arrivals (load-in) and departures (load-out)
- Assist with artist hospitality
- Participate in weekly Performing Arts team meetings
Desired Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelors, currently pursuing degree in related field, or relevant work experience
- Self-directed and proactive, self-starter and a problem solver
- Highly organized with sharp attention to detail
- Outgoing and friendly with strong interpersonal and verbal skills
- Strong writing skills
- Enthusiasm for engaging with the public onsite, both with utmost professionalism
- Knowledge and keen interest in music and the performing arts is desirable
- Computer literate
- September 5 – November 30: 2-3 days per week in the office (ideally one of those will be Tuesdays)
- Must be available to work all of BRIC JazzFest Marathon Weekend: October 24 – October 26, 12:00PM – 12:00AM each day
- Somewhat flexible schedule outside of above constraints based on particular individual schedules.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, and references to Andrea Montes de Oca, Performing Arts Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Performing Arts Intern. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.