4 MONTHS | 40 HOURS | Cost: $175 | Application Fee: $5
Application opens June 23rd and closes August 13th at midnight
Applicants notified by September 2nd
September 9-December 21st
Thursdays from 7-9pm (online, on Zoom unless otherwise noted)
Screening: Mid-January 2022
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The two-time, New York Emmy-nominated BRIC Documentary Intensive will guide you through all of the stages of creating a documentary. In this class, a group of 12 Brooklynites will be selected to write, produce, and shoot a documentary on a subject of their choosing. Students will make their own films, help their classmates, and develop a cohort that can work together after the class ends. We'll talk about documentary style, subjects, shooting, recording sound, and editing on Adobe Premiere!
- PRE-PRODUCTION + PRODUCTION
In the production phase, you will learn how to use our cinema cameras and audio equipment to shoot your documentary and assist your classmates.
In the post-production phase, you’ll edit your film using Adobe Premiere Pro, receive feedback from your peers, and start to craft a distribution plan.
- WORLD PREMIERE SCREENING OF YOUR DOCUMENTARY
The course will culminate with a world premiere screening of your documentary in the BRIC Ballroom. Your documentary will also air on our Emmy and Hometown Media Award-winning Brooklyn Free Speech TV network.
Please note that to be accepted into the class you need some experience editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and shooting video with field production equipment. Please complete the online application and we will notify you if you are accepted into the course.
Certification courses are for Brooklyn residents only. Not a Brooklyn resident? No problem! Feel free to register for any of our non-certification courses.
We recommend that all applicants be well versed in the following before applying for this intensive.
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- DSLR camera funtionality
Thinking that this program isn't for you or that you don't have what it takes to become a filmmaker? Before you allow that thought to take hold, consider these words from Ava DuVernay:
"I didn’t pick up a camera until I was 33 years old. I was a publicist at first and I was on a lot of sets. I observed the directors and I was like if that guy can do it, I can do it. He’s not that much smarter than me." —Ava DuVernay
Oh, we bet you are! We after all, are the place where media dreamers become media makers. Find out what you're made of and apply today.
BINGE WATCH DOCS FROM PREVIOUS COHORTS
PAYMENT & REGISTRATION
- The BRIC Documentary Intensive is a cohort course. BRIC's cohort and certification courses are exclusively for Brooklyn residents. Not a Brooklyn resident? Please register for any of our non-certification or free courses.
- To successfully complete this program, students should have experience using a computer.
- Money orders and checks (made out to BRIC) are accepted when registering for class in person.
- Credit card payments are accepted online only.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the first class to complete your registration.
- Save 15% on classes by becoming a BRIC member: BRICartsmedia.org/membership
- You will not be permitted to take the class or receive a refund for your online payment if you do not meet the following qualifications prior to the first day of class:
- Please provide proof of age with a valid, unexpired government-issued photo ID.
- This class is open to students over the age of 18 only.
- FOR CERTIFICATION COURSES ONLY: In order to use the full power of your certification with BRIC, you must submit proof of Brooklyn residency. We've compiled a list of documents we accept to show that you're a Brooklyn resident: BRICartsmedia.org/POR.
SAVE 15% ON CLASSES
- Did you know that BRIC members save 15% on classes? It's true! Become a BRIC member today: BRICartsmedia.org/membership.
PROOF OF BROOKLYN RESIDENCY
For Cohort & Certification Courses Only
- Why do I have to show that I'm a Brooklyn resident?
- If you do not show that you're a Brooklyn resident, you won't be able to use the full power of your certification with BRIC— which means that you won't have free access to our cameras, tripods, audio recorders, TV studios, or Adobe Creative Cloud.
- FOR CERTIFICATION COURSES ONLY: You must submit proof of Brooklyn residency in order to get free access to equipment and studio time. We've compiled a list of documents we accept to show that you're a Brooklyn resident: BRICartsmedia.org/POR.
ABSENCE & CANCELLATION POLICY
- Failure to alert us to your absence on the first day of class will forfeit your seat and a refund will not be issued.
- Please email our education department at classes@BRICartsmedia.org for any questions about payments, spot availability or for further assistance.