4 MONTHS | 60 HOURS | Cost: $175 | Application Fee: $3 | Limited to 12 students
Application Opens: Thu, Nov 1
Application Closes: Thu, Dec 20
Class Begins: Thu, Feb 7, 2019
BRIC Documentary Intensive 2019 Schedule
|Phase 1||Thu||Feb 7 - Apr 4||6:30 - 9:30PM|
|Phase 2||Wed||Apr 10 - Jun 5||6:30 - 9:30PM|
|World Premiere of your Doc at BRIC House||TBD||TBD||TBD|
We are looking for 12 Brooklynites to take part in our two-time, New York Emmy-nominated BRIC Documentary Intensive program. Thinking that this program isn't for you or that you don't have what it takes to become a filmmaker? Before you allow that thought to take hold, consider these words from Ava DuVernay:
"I didn’t pick up a camera until I was 33 years old. I was a publicist at first and I was on a lot of sets. I observed the directors and I was like if that guy can do it, I can do it. He’s not that much smarter than me." —Ava DuVernay
Oh, we bet you are! We after all, are the place where media dreamers become media makers. Find out what you're made of when applications open in 2019.
BINGE WATCH DOCS FROM THE 2017 GRADUATING CLASS
BINGE WATCH DOCS FROM THE 2016 GRADUATING CLASS
BINGE WATCH DOCS FROM THE 2015 GRADUATING CLASS
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The two-time, New York Emmy-nominated BRIC Documentary Intensive will guide you through all of the stages of creating a documentary. In this class, a group of 12 Brooklynites will be selected to write, produce, and shoot a documentary on a subject of their choosing. Students will make their own films, help their classmates, and develop a cohort that can work together after the class ends. We'll talk about documentary style, subjects, shooting, recording sound, and editing on Adobe Premiere!
In the pre-production phase, you’ll develop a documentary “style,” choose a subject, target an audience, and draft a production timeline and treatment for your film.
In the production phase, you will learn how to use our top-of-the line DSLR camera and audio equipment to shoot your documentary. In the post-production phase, you’ll edit your film using Adobe Premiere Pro and learn about distributing your film.
- WORLD PREMIERE SCREENING OF YOUR DOCUMENTARY
The course will culminate with a world premiere screening of your documentary in the BRIC Ballroom. Your documentary will also air on our Brooklyn Free Speech Television channels.
Please note that to be accepted into the class you need some experience editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and shooting video with field production equipment. Please complete the online application and we will notify you if you are accepted into the course.
Certification courses are for Brooklyn residents only. Not a Brooklyn resident? No problem! Feel free to register for any of our non-certification courses.
We recommend that all applicants be well versed in the following before applying for this intensive.
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- DSLR camera funtionality
- Money orders and checks (made out to BRIC) are accepted when registering for the class in person.
- Credit card payments are accepted online only.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the first class to complete your registration.
- You will not be permitted to take the class or receive a refund for your online payment if you do not meet the following qualifications prior to the first day of class:
- Please provide proof of age with a valid, unexpired government-issued photo ID.
- This class is open to students over the age of 18 only.
- FOR CERTIFICATION COURSES ONLY: Proof of your Brooklyn residency (such as a utility bill listing your name and address) that is no more than 2 months old.
- Failure to alert us to your absence on the first day of class will forfeit your seat and a refund will not be issued.
- Please call or email our education department at 718.683.9338 / classes@BRICartsmedia.org for any questions about payments, spot availability or for further assistance.
- If you register for a course and are unable to attend the first session, you must contact our education department 24 hours prior to the start of the first class at 718.683.9338 / classes@BRICartsmedia.org.
ARE ALL OF THE CLASSES SOLD OUT?
You Might Also Like
Video Production in the Field
This course will give you the skills to produce videos anywhere.
Brooklyn Free Speech's 13th Annual Community Producer Holiday Party: The Funky Get Down Ugly Sweater EditionDec 14, 2018 • 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Video Editing with Premiere
By the end of the course, students will edit a short video segment.