Support Community-Made Media
The FCC is proposing to redefine the definition of a franchise fee which will radically reduce the level of monetary support BRIC has to support you in your media journey. At risk is your access to free use of BRIC's TV and podcast studios, media lab, mini studio, edit suites, mobile editing stations, wallet-friendly TV, film, and podcast courses, and distribution through the Brooklyn Free Speech TV & Podcast Network.
This new FCC rule not only affects BRIC Community Media in Brooklyn, but community media stations just like us, all across the United States.
Public, Education, and Government (PEG) access channels provide local content in communities that are not served by the broadcast industry and are increasingly under-served by newspapers. We help prevent "media deserts" in towns and cities across the United States and ensure diversity of opinion at the local level.
BRIC's two Emmy-winning TV networks—Brooklyn Free Speech TV and BRIC TV—offer transparency and access so that all citizens regardless of birthplace, age, economic status, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or political party can have their voices heard. We provide a 360 degree media experience that helps turn the emerging into the emerged.
Since our founding in 1990 we've:
- Touched 100,000 lives
- Won 2 Telly Awards
- Won 10 Emmy Awards
- Taught 40,000+ students
- Cablecast / streamed over 1 million hours of community-produced TV
- Had one of our producers win Best Young Creator at Urbanworld Film Fest
- Supported the production of 180 films through BRIC's Media Arts Fellowship
- Supported the production of 37 documentaries through BRIC's Documentary Intensive
- Supported the production of 7 theatre-based films through BRIC's Intimate Eye program
- Had one of our shows premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in the Indie Episodic category
- Supported the production of 30 films and podcasts through BRIC's Prison Education Program
- Celebrated over 150 makers in the Brooklyn Free Speech producing community at the B Free Awards
- Awarded 57 in-kind grants valued at $400,000+ to Brooklyn nonprofits in support of their media creation journey
Please stand with us and sign the FCC petition today! Tell Congress that they should stop the FCC from trying to re-write the 1984 Cable Act which will financially starve your access to wallet-friendly media education, free equipment, and distribution through Brooklyn Free Speech.
You Might Also Like
Brooklyn Free Speech TV: Education, Distribution, Opportunity
The Media Center
Brooklyn Free Speech opens the door to your media possibilities— empowering you to learn and create innovative media.