With two TV networks under the BRIC Community Media umbrella, we heard that you have questions about the differences between the two. Here's an in-depth explanation into the differences between Brooklyn Free Speech and BRIC TV!
BRIC Community Media 101
BRIC is the leading presenter of free cultural programming in Brooklyn. In addition to BRIC's performing arts and contemporary art programs, it also has two distinct community media initiatives: Brooklyn Free Speech, an Emmy-winning, community-produced, nonprofit TV and podcast network featuring content produced by YOU, and BRIC TV, an Emmy, Ippy, and Telly-winning, nonprofit community TV channel and digital network featuring content produced by BRIC that's for, or about Brooklyn.
Makes a little more sense? Not really? Okay, let's look at it like this:
- BRIC has two TV networks under its community media division— BRIC TV and Brooklyn Free Speech:
- Brooklyn Free Speech is a community-produced, nonprofit TV network that gives emerging media moguls the opportunity to share the same airspace as those in mainstream media. BRIC TV is a nonprofit community TV channel and digital network featuring editorialized content produced by BRIC. Both networks are for the community, both networks show vastly different content, AND both networks are part of the BRIC family.
- Brooklyn Free Speech is community-produced TV and podcasts — our content creators own the media they produce.
- BRIC TV is highly-editorialized content produced for BRIC — the content is owned by BRIC.
Brooklyn Free Speech is YOUR Emmy-winning, community-produced TV and podcast network featuring content produced by YOU.
Brooklyn Free Speech has aired hundreds of thousands of hours of community-produced media since it hit the airwaves in 1990. We take great pride in airing your local films, documentaries, podcasts, and moments on our channels. We think of our community-produced media platforms as: Locally sourced. Globally shared.
BRIC TV is BRIC's Emmy-winning, nonprofit community TV channel and digital network featuring content produced by BRIC that's for, or about Brooklyn.
BRIC TV is Brooklyn’s premier video producer of local news and social justice reporting; music, arts and comedy coverage; Brooklyn documentaries; and original series programming on cable television and online video. BRIC TV works with the most exciting filmmakers in the borough to create bold, groundbreaking new work that’s garnered Emmys, Ippies and Tellys, screened at the Tribeca Film Festival and Sundance all while speaking to the communities we serve.
Q & A TIME
Question: Okay, that was a great explanation. I think I've got it! How do I know if my show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech or BRIC TV?
Answer: Great question! Here are a few answers:
- If you've met with Kareem Bland, Traffic Coordinator, Tyrone Gorin, Programming Coordinator, or Gen Ai Liu, Distribution Coordinator at the BRIC Media Center to air your film, TV show, or short, your show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech TV.
- If you have taken a certification course to become more proficient in a specific area of study so that you can air your show on our community channels, your show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech TV.
- If you have taken out audio or camera equipment from Robert, Cliff, Musa, Cyán, Rachael, or Zoe in our equipment room at the BRIC Media Center, your show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech TV.
Question: How do I know if my show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech Radio or BRIC Radio?
Answer: If you've met with Skye, Jessica, Liam or Shaun from BRIC's education team to air your podcast on our community radio network, your show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech Radio. If you have taken a podcast-specific, certification course so that you can use our podcast studio or have access to our free audio and sound equipment, your show airs on Brooklyn Free Speech Radio.
Question: Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, and I think you did a really good job, BUT I still have more questions. Is there someone from the marketing team who I can speak with, please?
Answer: Sure! Please email the Brooklyn Free Speech marketing team and they will get back to you promptly: bfreebk@BRICartsmedia.org.